Here are a few simple tips of how you can prepare yourself to take better engagement photos:
- Good light is all around you so paying attention to natural light… this is the one of the most important things you can do to improve your photography.
- Be patient. At times, some of the best images come from just being patient; wait for organic moments as it happen.
- Use prime lenses. My personal favorite is the 50mm 1.2 – I love it so much, I can shoot an entire engagement session with this lens.
- Spot meter. When shooting back lighting you will want to spot meter for the couple’s skin tone.
- My engagement sessions are 1 to 1.5hr. long so I usually shoot 1.5 after sunrise or 1.5 before sunset.
- Arrive early. First of all you don’t want your clients waiting for you and you also want to arrive early to scope location for the best spots.
- Before starting the session let the couple know it’s ok to have fun and enjoy the process.